CALLA LILY FESTIVAL AT YANG MING SHAN TAIWAN, ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW

by - Wednesday, February 15, 2017




This post starts with my first destination upon arriving in TAIPEI from Taichung, Taiwan. 

Yang Ming Shan (YMS) Directions

It was my first time up YMS and I have to say I was in love. Still am.


An escapade from the city area? YMS is the heaven on earth to be. Enjoy gulps of fresh air and clear skies while still being in near proximity to Taipei City. Hit the trails and admire the flowers in the park.

I caught a bus at Taipei Main Station Bus 260Exit from 北二门 ( Bei Er Men. North Exit No. 2) and board from the red and white tentage right in front. Frequency is fast and the bus takes you all the way to Yang Ming Shan. I alighted at the terminus station — 《陽明山总站》 which I have boxed below — for the Hua Zhong 花钟 ( Flower Clock).
The terminus is really where the buses parked.
This is the North Exit 2 at Taipei Main Station


The tentage to board 260

Flower Clock

When I stepped out of the bus, it was so foggy I could not see anything in front of me and for a 
moment, I thought I would be lost amongst the fog forever. Thankfully as I walked on I saw people roaming around. For a moment I was startled and thought I would be stuck there not being able to navigate. Pardon me for not having experienced a thick fog before. 
The high altitude and cold temperature, esp after raining definitely encourages the formation. 




En-route to this place near the Garden Clock, there is a memorial building known as 辛亥光复楼 .
The locals told me to just head up the flights of steps to take a look and so I did. 


There really was nothing fascinating about the building ( especially when it's covered in fog). Besides, there was no entry to the 2nd level. 1st level was just selling some food and souvenirs what-not. 

Yang Ming Founder's Statue

Walk further down east and follow the signage to the 王阳明铜像 ( Yang Ming Founder's statue). Now isn't this more interesting? This park was set up to commemorate scholar Wang Yang Ming. 




Why Zhu Zhi Hu?

竹子湖 Zhu Zhi Hu ( loosely translated as Bamboo Lake) is uniquely home to the calla lilies aka 海芋 (In March/April) and is a farming village coagulated of lots of different farms. The rich fertile land, surrounded by volcanoes and dams, makes it suitable for farming and growth of different floras in various seasons. Hydrangeas were right in bloom after the calla lilies, looking very pretty in balls of blue.


Calla Lily Festival 竹子湖海芋季

What's unique is the Calla Lily Festival which runs yearly for one month. This year, I was lucky to be there in time for the festival which ran from 18th March to 17th April 2016. This flower festival is definitely a highlight you should catch! 
 There were many festivities held in place, which included unique photo points spread among the different fields and plots,. but it was not easy searching for them all due to the massive size of the lake and the huge areas of the farms. The rain didn't help much either.

The map below shows the outline and location of the various farms in Zhu Zhi Hu and was useful for my trip. The link to this and their official FB Page, I have linked right at the bottom of the page. 


How To Get There?

The big buses only bring you to YMS Terminus —《陽明山总站》. To proceed to the gardens/farms in Zhu Zi Hu, take a mini-bus right outside the entrance of the Flower Clock, along the main road. That bus stop's name will be 《陽明山公园服务中心》( loosely translated as Yangming Park Visitor Service Centre as shown below). Now, transfer to a mini-bus now named Red 8 or Red 9 or 131.
( I hope you are not confused. Yes, I know, the Chinese words are not exactly internationally tourists friendly.)
Just ask the security guard or any locals if you don't know where exactly from Flower Clock you can take those mini-buses from.


From The Mini-Bus

《竹子湖》( Zhu Zi Hu) is the main stop from which most of the calla lily farms are and where most visitors alighted by. I, however, dropped off 2 stops earlier at 《竹子湖派出所》( translated as Zhu Zi Hu Police Station). From the map, it mentioned a 15 minutes' walk to the main stop. However, the journey proved to be slightly longer. It would have been bearable if not for the impending rain. It was a peaceful walk actually, just follow the main road ( away from the cars of course).


Donghu and Xiahu

The lake as an entity is divided into 3 portions: Donghu 东湖 (East Lake), Xiahu 下湖 (Bottom Lake) and Dinghu 顶湖 (Top Lake). Personally, I had only managed to cover Donghu and Xiahu— which was a mean feat on its own, considering the amount of walking distance covered. 

So 1 boarded mini-bus (Red 8). Alighting at the Zhu Zi Hu Police Station stop will lead you straight to the Donghu part of the lake. I was pretty apprehensive ( because only 3 others out of the full busload alighted there) but I trusted the map and walked some few meters before spotting the signage for 老湖田— one of the dozens of calla lily farms. 
That turned out to be the best decision — ever. 

Let me divert...

As mentioned, the next stop— 竹子湖站 leads to Xiahu and where most farms are amassed. But, that does not necessary translates to where the prettiest calla lilies are. As I learnt, the higher up around the lake you head to, the farm admissions turned out more expensive (?).  Maybe not all, but this applies especially for this place named 苗榜花园 which charges way much higher and does not allow visitors to step in at all, with a main barricade at the doors. Yet that farm was filled with people.
Anyways, there are many fields near the 竹子湖站 bus stop which offered much cheaper rates for plucking of the lilies. 

老湖田 Lao Tian Hu 

Prior, I had no idea that the festival was made up of all the scattered farms growing calla lilies and each farm needs a fee for entry.  Since I was there, I had to go into the lily fields right?  What are a few coins compared to the distances I have travelled?  It was by chance I found my way to Lao Tian Hu.

The fees were 500NT for entry and 1000 NT for plucking the calla lilies. Comparatively, their fees were slightly on the higher end as the farms in Xiahu charged 500NT with lilies plucking. 
However! Not to show favouritism, but 老湖田's lilies were the best looking and freshest. Because when I headed to Xiahu thereafter, the other farm's lilies did not look all that pretty. Perhaps the heavy rain had damaged their radiance?

In addition, 老湖田 was on dry land, which means to step in, you don't have to wear boots. Perhaps that's why their charges are higher. I had only paid an entry fee but the very kind lady boss also gave me some really fresh stalks of calla lilies when I was about to leave after taking numerous selfies!
 I was astonished and of course felt bad, since I could not possibly shipped the flowers. But she had kindly insisted and I was indeed eternally grateful. 

-The beauty of travelling is the people you met and the memories created.
浓浓的人情味 

Welcome in!

Scroll for the beautiful lilies in their farm!!

Here's inside the farm. 






So this is the very kind and generous lady boss who offered me those lovely stalks.





To Xiahu

After exiting the farm, instead of waiting around for the bus to Xiahu, I took the walking option. 
From the map, it looked endurable and not too far but nevertheless took me about 15 minutes. You have to walk alongside the main road, which is not too narrow and thus still relatively safe. 

Some sights along the walking journey. 
Roads adorning with pictures of lilies. 


Fog/mist everywhere. 





Arrived!

Be it on a bus or via walking, this slope gradually leads to a bustling end point, which simply translates to; Xiahu finally! 
If you can see below, from afar on the right, that is the bus stop for 竹子湖站  (Zhu Zi Hu Zhan) packed with people.

Photos of other calla lily farms at Xiahu, which is the main site of Zu Zi Hu.
The sky was extremely misty, especially after a heavy rain. 


The words below meant 'Plucking Calla Lilies'.








The frogs below are the special decorations placed just for the festival.



Below was written NT$50 for admission to take photos, excluding plucking of lilies.

Foggy Fog. The mountains in the background were covered by the mist and clouds. 


To go back to Taipei city area, take Bus 260 from 竹子湖站  (Zhu Zi Hu Zhan) and congrats! You have done it.
Going to YMS,  many also hire pick-up chartering services as it can be quite tough with all these bus changings, especially for elderly. With a pick-up service, you may also be able to touch on other parts of Yang Ming Shan such as Xiaoyoukeng 小油坑 and the hot springs within a day. Using public transport, however, was taxing even though it was just 1 attraction that I visited. 
Ultimately, it really depends on your pace and how you like your tour to be. 

For the Festival

If you want to know more about the type of flowers blooming in Zhu Zi Hu after the calla lilies, then head to their FB page below!
Calla Lili Taipei Facebook




PIN IT FOR LATER!


Read more on my Taiwan travel:






You May Also Like

0 comments