Welcome to Gyeongju — Anapji Pond, Cheomseongdae Observatory,Daereungwon Tomb

by - Tuesday, May 07, 2013

 Anapji Pond 안압지

Directions

~~ To reach this place, simply take Bus no. 12 from SinGyeongju Station.  Easy ^^
The best time to be there? Near sunset whereby you can see the beautiful golden hues.


Beautiful Anapji Pond at night when the lights brighten~~

Anapji Pond with Cherry Blossoms~~~ yea

Gyeongju seemed to be warmer than the rest of Korea and it was one of the hottest days of my 2 weeks in Korea. I could even removed my jacket and just wore on one layer of clothing. And by afternoon I was sweating.

 This was the 2nd day I spent in Gyeongju.

Greeted once again by lovely blossom.
Thankfully Gyeongju had many blossoms still in full bloom when I was there in early April

Too PRETTY!
Witnessing these blooms was a dream came true.



self shot~~ pretty Blossoms behind me.
See as if pink from afar but they were mainly, mostly white blooms.

Gyerim Forest

This is the Gyerim Forest



Cheomseongdae Observatory 첨성대

Just nearby and within walking distance from the Gyerim Forest.

Pretty blossoms all around in Gyeongju

While walking along, I came upon the Gyeongju Seokbingo... Can't enter the cave but just FYI

this is it

 This pond/ the whole area was used for filming in this drama.
The drama's name is loosely translated as "The King's Dream" .


 Beautiful Yellow Flower field.... many people were taking photos.


Horse carriages spotted... just like in Jinhae

Daereungwon Tomb

Finally after walking for a long time, I found my way to the famous Daereungwon Tomb. It looks near on the map from Gyerim Forest, but the distance is quite far... Not as near as it looks...

Surrounding are many restaurants and bakeries....

Daereungwon Tomb is the tomb complex, where old tombs of Silla are clustered. 

 Let's tour inside.

I ♥♥ this...............

Spacious piece of land with just nature, trees, flowers, mounds of tombs everywhere. 
A really serene place, great for outings on a lovely day.

 Many students were out on school excursions


Mounds of tombs yet to excavated and unidentified.


Maehwa~~~~

close up Maehwa~~~~

Within the premises are other smaller tombs named differently. 
Hwangnam Tomb is not a single tomb but are 2 linked mounds, suggesting the possibility of a married couple's tomb. In actual fact male bones were found in the southern part of the tomb and a woman's belt in the northern part, excavated together with numerous expensive artifacts believed to have belonged to that of a king and queen.

Entrance to the Cheonma Tomb 천마총.

Till 1973, this tomb remained uncatalogued, lying undisturbed in the Gyeongju Valley. A coffin was first discovered, followed by other treasures 3 months later. 

The most prominent treasure found was the painting of a galloping horse and hence the name ' Heavenly Horse Tomb' was given. 

Large tombs indicate the ruler's authority and is especially true of tombs that contain many grave goods. 
The interior is now decorated with replicas of artifacts excavated from the tomb. The original ones are exhibited at Gyeongju National Museum.  I didn't take any photos inside though. 

That's about all I have for Daaerungwon. Moving on outside.....

Blossoms petals~~~~ PRETTY??  ^_^

I had very much wanted to eat Ssam-Bap 쌈밥, It's a meal with many side dishes in huge portions. It seems to be a specialty specifically near the Daereungwon area in Gyeongju. 
But the all restaurants declined me when I was there during lunch time. ( Ultimate sadness)

I am not sure if they accept single diner? or were they really fully booked ( as told)????
 I saw empty seats and saw them accepting those after me who were in groups. Unless they had a reservation? Till this day, I really don't know why but I think declined me because I was on my own and think that single dinners can't finish their food or something. 

But I am paying for it! so what was that?

Really MEAN of them if that's the case!! Anybody can enlighten me on it? 

Anyways, it was so hard to find lunch near Daereungwon area when you are on your own. After walking by many eateries, I finally found a place that offers Kimchi Jjigae.

Finally!! sob sob......tiring -_-||


Gyeongju Museum

After lunch I continued to the Gyeongju Museum... Really wanted to see this place as I was interested in historical stuff.  And entrance is FREE!

It was really a warm, bright and lovely day~~  :)

Bicycle rentals are available everywhere~~ wheee~~~


I didn't really take much photos of the exhibits as I was really appreciating them haha...


So... just photos of the exterior showing the compound of the museum.

Gyeongju Bread or Hwangnam

Of course when you are in Gyeongju, You can't miss out the Gyeongju Bread. There are many of such bakeries all around in Gyeongju so you can easily purchase them. 
A must try!

It's in a pretty floral shape and filled with yummy red bean paste. They do sell it in bulks and you can bring them home as souvenirs, provided that you are leaving for home right after your Gyeongju visit because these pretty breads can only last for 5 days!!! 

It was really yummy indeed. I bought mine from the shop across Bulguksa and you won't miss that shop. I think theirs was not too sweet so it was just nice for me... 
This is their website~~ 
My friends said some other brands were too sweet and they don't really like it.

Chefs at work.

So that's all for now.... stay tune for more~~

You May Also Like

0 comments