[Japan Tokyo Travel 1] Sights and Tastes of Asakusa

by - Saturday, August 09, 2014

Hello everyone, it has been a while since I am back from Japan and yes I have been putting this aside with no time to tidy up my Japan tour photos till now... but I have so much happiness to share.

 Off I went in April to satisfy my Cherry Blossoms love affair. I wanted to see if they would be of a different shade of pink as was from Korea's. But I was disappointed as Tokyo's blossoms were fairly mostly white or light pink... I was told me that's the norm in Tokyo. Other prefectures might have bright darker pinks...

And of course the main reason was to meet my darling 동생 (younger sis), Sumika, as I affectionately called her. We met when we were in Bhutan some years ago and we have been such good friends since though we are miles apart. Thanks to technology and the wonderful LINE app. ^^ Without all these social medias I doubt I could have get to know so many international friends.


Day 1 was spent at Asakusa and Tokyo Sky Tree Tower as I arrived only by late afternoon at Narita Airport and had to figure out my way to the hostel- Nui Hostel and Bar Lounge.  Read my review of  Nui Hostel and Bar Lounge.

I am totally a Nihongo illiterate and I did find it a handicap especially since I was there on my own. Yes, if it wasn't for the motivation of seeing my little sis, I wouldn't have thought of travelling to Japan much less on my own- again ^_^ 再次出走, 心情期待又兴奋

From my hostel, I can easily walk to Asakusa and since it was still bright day light with my map on hand.... It was very simple and I really just walk straight all the way and soon about 15 mins was greeted with Asakusa Station.

Heading forward, you will see signs pointing towards Toei Asakusa.

Right in front of the station! Yes, the famous 3 landmarks unfolding in front of you.

Right at this blue bridge- Komagatabashi 駒形,  you will be able to get a shot of them.

Crossed the huge junction...

 and I spotted upon the Asakusa Shrine.

 ... And Surprise surprise, wedding photo-taking in progress... I was really delighted to spot this in action especially with the couples donning on the Japanese traditional costumes- the Kimonos.

The bride was absolutely stunning and elegantly placed in her Kimono and tsunokakushi (wedding headpiece). Spring indeed is a lovely season for marriage.

Here's the groom, all masculine and dignified in the male's kimono version

Walk on and soon after, you will see a red bridge- Azumabashi 吾妻 . Once here, you are just a street across from the main buzz of Asakusa on the western bank. Yea!
 From here you can take an even up-close shot of Asahi Beer Tower  but the Tokyo SkyTower, on the eastern bank, seems to shy away.

The Asahi Beer Tower is the Asahi Breweries headquarters in Tokyo and located on the other side of Sumida River. It's designed to resemble the look of a beer mug with frosty white foam on top. The building besides it with a golden flame, also belongs to Asahi.

I tried various angle, kept snapping, trying to get some perfect 'artistic' shots, but in the end, I  can't really mustered any thing different, so there, I gave up eventually and moved on.

By now, you would have been able to noticed the wide river underneath the red,blue bridges and yes that's the Sumida River. The river where the ferry ride takes place ferrying tourists and locals to various points of  the surrounding regions on the Sumida River Cruise.


A multi intersection crossing looms ahead.

Seriously I had no idea which direction was to the Sensoji Temple, but I went across and thank god it was the correct direction. Just spot the huge "SHIDAX" signboard


Along the way to Sensoji Temple, there are many shops and eateries, all in the mood for Spring!


Sakura red bean wrapped with pickled Sakura leaves.


I had my try of the Sakura Mochi ( sweet rice cakes). The Sakura leaves were so salty! But sis said it's the norm. Haha I wonder if all leaves were that salty. I love the sweet sticky rice though. 


Moving back.... see the splendid view of the Nakamise Shopping Street leading to Sensoji Temple?
Can you spot cheery blossoms along the street??

Here's another zoomed in shot 'coz I loved it so much ^^

Kaminarimon (Kaminari Gate)
exit one of Asakusa Subway Station

Walking along the Nakamise Shopping Street
Spring is always so sweet with spring- related items everywhere. Even food stuff.. wherever there's a queue means it's good right? Rule of thumb, follow the crowd. 
This was at this rabbit logo shop selling sweets. For Spring's special they were selling matcha green tea and....

These little mochi-like chewy sweets~~ So pretty! and was really cheap too.
There's an eating area warning people that you should only consume their products there, least the powder flies all over the place and dirties other shops.

Alright, here's how it looks like. Kibidango are rice flower chewy sweets covered with soybean powder and for Spring, comes coated especially in pinkish Strawberry seasonal flavor~~ so sweet~.
 The taste was really awesome, never tried before and the powder did fly everywhere causing quite a mess, with the chewy and stickiness of the mochi but fun to eat. Wet wipes are available at the standing eating area to clean yourself up.

other Mochi sweets in a stick dipped with various sauces ... 

Crowds everywhere, locals and tourists alike.


 This stall sells crispy rice cracker (Osenbei) dipped with soy sauce and wrapped with seaweed!

 Pipping hot and crispy fresh on the spot and oh So delicious~~

Pack some home as snacks!


Sesame Mochi Manju ¥80/¥100, cheap, small but fun to pop in.

 Sesame chewy pastry filled with red bean paste. 
Yes many Japanese sweets use red bean paste in one way or another as I have discovered.

Also, filled along the street are vendors selling soft cakes (Ningyoyaki) filled with red bean paste or custard etc. Mostly made on the spot they come in various human, animals' shapes etc.

There's a kindergarten just along the food street and some sort of enrollment or graduation ceremony for the kids were going on back then. Not too sure but the parents were all dressed up and the kids in their traditional kimono. 

 Such a lovely day to be out in the traditional costumes, really matches well with the natural scenery.

The kids' school uniform. So CUTE okay?
Looks so classy and tailor-made.


  Finally through the mass of crowd, I pushed my way and reached the Sensoji Temple, Tokyo's oldest and most famous temple visited by locals and tourists. 

 Main entrance of Sensoji-Temple.

Main Hall.


Here you can take a look at your fortune by shaking the fortune divine sticks and picking out the related readings, similar to Chinese style of drawing lots.


This temple has been so "modernised", the divine lots interpretations come in English. I don't think other smaller temples, those not so frequented by tourists, will have this kind of "services". It was fun nonetheless.


Afterwhich, just tie your slips around the panel, unless you wanna bring it home.

Of course in the temple, follow what the locals do and light up the joss stick. Japanese way of praying in the temple consists of Four steps:  2 bows, 2 claps, pray and finished off with 1 more bow. Say your prayers and offer some a token in blessings to your wishes and to Sensoji.

Joss sticks for prayers.

There's a series of steps in regards to cleansing with the water and it's all stated how.


 This is how popular Senso-ji is, look at the crowd.


While still within the temple vinicity I headed west and was surprisingly greeted by PRETTY blossoms love♣♣



  Alright the pictures below will be overflowing with cherry blossoms! Coz of my big love for them... ^^


Pretty? Don't you feel yourself basking and enjoying  the warmth of summer? 




Maehwa~~ extreme love so pretty, lovely. So Happy~






Make your way out back to the food street, more delicious snacks along the way and you will not be starved I promised.

Another shop selling Kibi Dango (tiny mochi on stick). This stall however sells savory ones as well, such as with soy sauce, with sweet bean, sweet sauce and with seaweed!

I had my try with the seaweed wrapped mochi and it's oishi!!! 


 More goodies along the way~~  but this was at one of the side streets. I was just randomly walking around and can't really pinpoint the exact location. I hope the store signage helps ( the store with the black standee).
 Sensor alert when you spot a long queue- it just means that something good is up ahead~~

I seriously have no idea what I was queuing till I was nearer to the cashier and I was like 'Ah, croquette?' 


But alas, this was not filled with potato but pork,cheese and what-not ! ( or maybe potato too... and pork)  Either way super big heart and for just ¥200. Simply so warming especially on a cold weather~~

 I wanted to return for this on another day but no time unfortunately. So tasty yummy!
Give me 10 please.

You can't miss out rickshaw riders in the Asakusa area and though I wanted to try but I think it looks quite bad to have a guy pull you around, no doubt they are strong young men mostly, but still..haha. It's definitely a cool experience I suppose though.



Okay, I have read much raves about  梅園 main store in Asakusa and had no idea where it was till I 'accidentally' bumped into it in a small side alley.

So excited to get my hands on their sweets!! 
cost ¥  420 per tub. 

They have a dine-in place for all things sweet and pretty, but long queue so didn't try out.
Here's the address:
東京都台東区浅草1-31-12


Prettily divided into 2 layers, the top layer is filled with frozen red bean paste, blueberries, peach slices and taro! There is also a bottle of sugar syrup, for your adjustment. 
 What's in the the tub at the bottom, are chunky chewy pieces of nata de coco!!! 

Seriously, I have never eaten such 'complicated combination' haha... Anyway, pour everything in, mix and eat!! so cute

How to get to Senoji Temple:
Station below is Asakusa Station along Tobu Skytree Line. 
There are so many lines that I am still super confused. The Point is to get to Asakusa Station, you can either get on the Ginza Line under Tokyo Metro , Asakusa Line under Toei or Private operator's Tobu Skytree Line. 
It really depends on where you are coming from.

These are the young rickshaw riders.

From the Sensoji, and within walking distance (1km or so), head on to the Sumida Park, marked by the huge 'Tokyo Cruise' water pier. As you approached towards the sunset, the beauty of the Tokyo Skytower and Asahi Beer tower gleams golden in the glowing shine.

Here's the Sumida cruise centre.

Sumida Park is one of the highly recommended places for cherry blossoms watching and of course I could not missed it. The park lines along the Sumida River and in Spring, are speckled with cherry blossoms.

The sky was still bright but the park was already covered with many locals eagerly waiting to start on their Hanami (Cherry Blossoms Picnicking). A pretty lovely place, but super crowded with evening crowd. I can only imagine myself doing morning runs along the lovely blossoms and river, that would be nice.


Not just for old or young people, there were many working class, men in particular who gathered around in their suits, drinking and bonding under the blossoms. 

Sunset in a city yet with unobstructed view. Lovely 





After my walk in the Sumida Park, I need to get away from the cold and headed on to the Tokyo Skytree. Opened in 2012, this fairly new attraction, spans over massive areas and am  divided into different sections- with entertainment, sightseeing, shopping and F&B all integrated into one. Head on to their website to see how you can reach the place.

For me, I took the Toei Asakusa Line from Sumida Park's nearby Asakusa station to Oshiage (Skytree) station. Just 1 stop away. Though huge, do not worry about getting lost as the Information Counters has very patient officers who can speak fluent English.

Taking the train to your destinations from Tokyo Skytree Station is easy. I will post some of the pictures in my next post. I think this was a long post, but I hope you enjoyed reading. 


You May Also Like

0 comments